This week I picked up an older WIP, my Kalimna Shawl. I started it over the summer and know it will get a lot of wear, but the large size was getting tedious and my knitting showed it. I’m ready to crank through though — I am almost done with the center even section and know the decreases will seem quick afterwards!
I’m reading The Boston Girl right now, taking a short break from Atlas Shrugged, which I’ve been slogging through slowly for a few months. I usually enjoy Anita Diamant’s books and this one is no exception.
My first pattern is up today! Winkel-Winken is a chevron hat for adults that uses mosaic knitting. I had a lot of fun knitting the samples because the pattern is quick and has great results! I could see this being really fun knit in grey and a neon color, but it also works in a more subtle color palette like the grey on grey my husband requested.
Gavin says he likes his because it’s warm, it’s cool but classic, and it fits well. What more could you ask for from a hat?
The mosaic knitting helps to keep you warm but is simpler to knit than fair isle would be and keeps the hat stretchier to fit many sizes! The brim can be folded up or left down and the hat can be worn slouchy or snug. It’s a very versatile design. Check out the design page for more info and to purchase the pattern!
I’ve really been on a shawl kick lately, both making and wearing. I wanted a solid purple shawl to wear since it’s my favorite color, so when I found the Boo Knits purple shawl KAL on Ravelry, I knew I had a great excuse to finally make one! It’s really easy for me to hoard purple yarn because I think the colors are so pretty. You’d think with the amount of purple yarn I own I would have more purple projects!
I used some Knit Picks Stroll Kettle-Dyed (discontinued years ago) in Eggplant from my stash and purchased some 6/0 beads on Etsy to use with it.
The pattern was written out, which is usually not my preference, but I toughed through because I really liked the finished products I had seen on Ravelry. It turned out to not be the nightmare I was imagining! The use of bold and italic rows prevented needing to carefully read each and every row once I got the pattern down creating the body of the shawl. In fact, I didn’t use the charts for the lace at all because I was already so used to the written-out style.
I think the most surprising thing about this shawl was how little yarn it used! I used less than 250 yards of my yarn, leaving almost half a ball left for another project.
I didn’t change needle sizes throughout the shawl because I don’t care for the look of fingering weight yarn knit at such a large gauge. I just went up one size for the bind-off at the end and thought that was perfect.
This was my first project using beads and while I can’t say I enjoyed putting them on one by one, I can say that I got faster, that the rows with just one bead per repeat were much easier, and that the finished object was worth the trouble.
Earlier this month I participated in verybusymonkey’s mystery knitalong (KAL). I am a huge sucker for KALs and have been eyeing her shawl patterns for months, so this was the perfect excuse to buy one to try!
I went stash-diving for some Knit Picks Stroll Kettle-Dyed (long discontinued) in Spruce.
Here’s my shawl after knitting the first clue.
And here’s my finished shawl!
The shawl has various textured sections (stockinette, garter, cables, and moss stitch) separated by a lace motif, but because of the gauge it still has a lot of drape.
Last year I decided it was finally time we had Christmas stockings and cast on the New Ancestral Christmas Stocking from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines. I chose to use Knit Picks Wool of the Andes from my stash in Grass, Red, and White.
I knew I wouldn’t finish two (or one!) of them by Christmas and wound up setting the first one aside for a few months after Christmas had passed. When I picked it up, I realized I had already done all of the stranded knitting and just needed to knit the foot and do the embroidery. The foot was easy, and I opted to do it the way I usually do regular socks since at 64 stitches, it was pretty much exactly the same as a usual sock, just bigger!
I had never done any duplicate stitching before, but this tutorial from Purl Bee was perfect and helped me get it figured out. When working on Gavin’s name, I had a lot of trouble envisioning it correctly since I found it easier to work the duplicate stitching correctly when the stocking was upside-down. I restarted about three times before getting some graph paper, charting his entire name, and then turning it upside-down. Next time, I’m starting that way!
Here’s what the inside looks like, for the curious:
I have plans to knit mine later this summer, leaving plenty of time to finish but also giving me a break between working on the two. Hopefully I’ll be done by Christmas!