Earlier this month I participated in verybusymonkey’s mystery knitalong (KAL). I am a huge sucker for KALs and have been eyeing her shawl patterns for months, so this was the perfect excuse to buy one to try!
I went stash-diving for some Knit Picks Stroll Kettle-Dyed (long discontinued) in Spruce.
Here’s my shawl after knitting the first clue.
And here’s my finished shawl!
The shawl has various textured sections (stockinette, garter, cables, and moss stitch) separated by a lace motif, but because of the gauge it still has a lot of drape.
Last year I decided it was finally time we had Christmas stockings and cast on the New Ancestral Christmas Stocking from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines. I chose to use Knit Picks Wool of the Andes from my stash in Grass, Red, and White.
I knew I wouldn’t finish two (or one!) of them by Christmas and wound up setting the first one aside for a few months after Christmas had passed. When I picked it up, I realized I had already done all of the stranded knitting and just needed to knit the foot and do the embroidery. The foot was easy, and I opted to do it the way I usually do regular socks since at 64 stitches, it was pretty much exactly the same as a usual sock, just bigger!
I had never done any duplicate stitching before, but this tutorial from Purl Bee was perfect and helped me get it figured out. When working on Gavin’s name, I had a lot of trouble envisioning it correctly since I found it easier to work the duplicate stitching correctly when the stocking was upside-down. I restarted about three times before getting some graph paper, charting his entire name, and then turning it upside-down. Next time, I’m starting that way!
Here’s what the inside looks like, for the curious:
I have plans to knit mine later this summer, leaving plenty of time to finish but also giving me a break between working on the two. Hopefully I’ll be done by Christmas!
I’ve been hoarding this state fabric in my stash since I found it during college and bought a yard or two. I used some to make a gift for a friend’s mom, but finally decided to use some of it for myself. Like I’ve said, I’ve lived in a bunch of different states (six, not including two summer internships) so I wanted to include all of them in the coasters. Doing some very fussy cutting, I was able to get them all in four. In order: Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri.
I used cheap craft store felt as the batting because it’s fairly waterproof and also I had a bunch hanging out in my craft room.
For the backing I used some 1″ gingham I had on hand, which made for easy measuring and cutting and gives a calmer look.