Recipe: Chorizo Rice Skillet
Here’s a recipe for a chorizo rice skillet — it’s a quick, one-pan meal that both Gavin and I love.
Chorizo Rice Skillet
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 15 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1.5 cups white rice
- 1 cup water
- 3 green onions, sliced finely
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
If your chorizo is in the casing, you’ll need to remove it. I used to hate this, but figured out that you can stab the end of the sausage with your kitchen shears, slice the casing down the edge (don’t worry about cutting the meat), and then just roll the sausage right out.
Heat the oil in a 12″ lidded skillet over medium-high heat (if using), then add the chorizo and break it up with a spatula as it browns.
Add the peppers and onions, stir in the chili powder, season with salt, and cook until softened.
Add the rice, water, and tomatoes and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
Serve topped with the green onions and cheddar cheese. It’s also great with avocado!